To all of our supporters,
As we enter the new year, we should take the time to celebrate our accomplishments of 2019 and 2020. It’s been a tough year for everyone but hopefully 2021 will see better times. The Life Jackets for Life initiative will continue to spread the word in 2021 and gain support to make lifejackets/PFDs mandatory for children in recreational boating. The need to keep kids safe on Canada’s waterways has not diminished.
A recap of our accomplishments from 2019 and 2020:
• Change.org petition with almost 10,000 signatures;
• Partnerships and Support Letters; (the Canadian Drowning Prevention Coalition, the Lifesaving Society, Insurance Broker’s Association of Ontario, PMU Pacific Marine; Safe Harbour Insurance, Reliance Insurance, the Insurance Bureau of Canada and more)
• Outreach to politicians in all parties;
• House of Commons Petition presented to Parliament by MP Pierre Poilievre;
• Media interviews;
• Lifejacket and PFD Awareness;
• Official Government response to House of Commons Petition;
• Collaboration with Transport Canada on parameters of study of wearing behaviours;
• Presentation before the Transport Canada’s Recreational Boating Standing Committee at the Canadian Marine Advisory Council meeting on November 12th, 2020.
• Follow up on Transport Canada commissioned studies;
• Let’s Talk Transport chat to be opened for public commentary;
• Continued advocacy on all platforms, website, social media;
• Continue to work with the CDPC when needed;
• Outreach to child safety and search and rescue organizations;
• Possible additional studies and metrics to come;
• Continue to update politicians; and
• Change.org petition will remain open for additional signatures.
We hope to see real progress on changing the law in 2021 and we’ll continue to work toward our goal.
Thank you for your continued support and please keep sharing our posts!
Life Jackets for Life.